Learning Skills Specialist
Date 2017-10-08 19:10:58 Location : North America
Location: Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis
Category: Admin - Tutors and Learning Resources
Posted: 10/04/2017 (Reposted Job: Initially posted on 07/28/2017)
Type: Full Time
ANNOUNCEMENT OF A POSITION OPENING FOR A LEARNING SKILLS SPECIALIST
Starting Date of Position: September 1, 2017
The University of Medicine and Health Sciences (UMHS) is a four-year school of medicine located in St. Kitts, W.I. with corporate offices in New York City. UMHS is seeking a Learning Skills Specialist. This will involve instructing students in time management, improving their study skills, building their reading comprehension, and improving their writing skills. This position will also provide teaching English as a second language.
UMHS is committed to educating uniquely skilled and diverse medical professionals eager to meet the need for physicians in various settings throughout the United States and the world. With a focus on quality patient care and utilizing the latest in advanced technological instruction and personalized education, our aim is to produce genuinely passionate physicians highly prepared for practice in a changing medical landscape.
The Director of this program will provide academic advising related to the development of effective learning skills, study strategies, assessment of learning styles, time management and test preparation on an individual and group basis. This person will assist in the integration of current learning support activities and the development of activities to improve the students' academic achievement and academic progression.
This position will also respond to medical students experiencing academic difficulties and will develop academic interventions designed to improve their academic performance. Effective study skills involve awareness of how to learn, knowing how to retain, organize, integrate, and apply information, problem-solving, and successfully balancing life in the process.
The Learning Specialist will coordinate all academic success programs to improve student success. This position may additionally provide selected lectures in Behavioral Science and Ethics courses or personal counseling. This position is full time and requires living on the beautiful island of St. Kitts, B.W.I.
1. Meet with students to develop and monitor proactive plans for ongoing academic success.
2. Work with Office of Student Affairs to provide academic accommodations to students with disabilities.
3. Administer the peer-tutoring program.
4. Administer and interpret learning and developmental assessment tools.
5. Administer standardized tests to evaluate learning styles.
6. Design and development learning support programs, learning support materials and reports.
7. Maintain accurate and confidential records of interactions with students.
8. Meet with students individually and in small groups to provide support that meets the needs of the students and enhances academic skill development.
9. Teach test taking skills, time management, and conflict resolution.
10. Reporting authority is the Dean of Basic Sciences.
11. Provide select lectures in Behavioral Science and Ethics.
1. Strong attention to detail, self-motivated, and demonstrates organizational skills.
2. Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, learning management systems, and Excel.
3. Strong oral, written communication and interpersonal skills.
4. Commitment to diversity, personal mentorship, professionalism, collaboration, mutual respect and student advocacy.
5. Bilingual: English and Spanish.
1. Academic credentials: Preference for Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Counseling or Educational Psychology from an accredited school preferably in the US or Canada.
2. At least five years experience in teaching and directing learning management skills with undergraduate and/or graduate students, with preference to undergraduate medical students.
3. Certified teacher of English as a Second Language (Recommended)..
4. Must be a self-starter, student oriented and have good management skills in working with faculty and students.
5. Experience working in higher education with students needing academic support, accommodations, and/or having academic difficulty.
6. Experience in learning and remediation strategies
7. Experience with NBME-USLME examinations
Please send a letter of interest and accompanying resume via email to email@example.com
Please view our beautiful island and our state-of-the-art campus on our website: www.umhs-sk.org
Postal Address: Human Resources
University of Medicine and Health Sciences
460 West 34th Street
New York, NY 10001
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org